Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Finding bones and hidden treasures

As I depart through the skies of France and goodbye to the clouds that rest over Paris, I feel relieved to leave. While the stay wasn’t entirely bad (mostly because of the adventures of my last day) I am not sure how much of a desire I have to return to the city. The only time I would make it back here is if I were with my love, and even then I think we could find a better place in the world. The city seems to be so overrun by tourists—even in the dead of winter—that its own local flavor gets lost, or is at least hard to find.


Yesterday, though, I did stumble across of some of this lost culture in the old windy streets where artists such as Van Gogh once frequented. After meeting a Canadian who seemed just as frustrated with Paris as me, and who had no plans on what was also going to be his last day, I asked him if he wanted to join me and my itinerary. He was overjoyed, and as a history major with a particular interest in U.S. history and politics, we had many conversations throughout our day of exploration, while also making fun of Parisians and other tourists. This was all very refreshing.

After going to so many churches, I needed some science in my life, so we went to the Musee de la Histoire Naturelle. The museum at first appeared as if it were a storage center filled with animal bones as far as the eye could see. From primates to frogs and dinosaurs, it was every science lovers’ dream because of the close proximity they allow visitors to go to the current and ancient bones. Many of the bones were those gathered from the famous scientist George Cuvier.

I was the Canadian’s guide as he picked my brain on ancient human history and evolution. I was in the middle of explaining to him the truncated version of humans becoming habitually bipedal, starting with the find of Australopithecus afarensis, when he taps me on the shoulder and points to some bone fragments sitting in a glass case. I couldn’t believe my eyes: Shoved into the corner of this tucked away museum, which it seemed only locals knew about, was the famous Lucy skeleton (pictured left)! “Weren’t you just telling about her?” he asked. I was ecstatic and still get giddy when I think about seeing it.

I couldn’t believe this wasn’t advertised by the museum; it wasn’t even in the guide pamphlet that tells you where some “key” skeletons were throughout the museum. This find made my journey to Paris well worth it.

Now, it’s off to Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hits