Monday, January 10, 2011

Praying to saints for all the wrong reasons


After so many years of not stepping into a church, it’s quite ironic how many I have walked through in the last few days. Nothing was quite like the Notre Dame (pictured above). In fact, I have not prayed in many years, and there was something so powerful about this cathedral that made me feel like I needed to kneel before the altar. It seemed that something so great and powerful begged for my faith, but then I remembered that it wasn’t God who was giving me this feeling, but a material object built by humans.


God never would have wanted us to expel so much into building a monument dedicated to him (though mostly it seems to be dedicated to various saints — which is even more pagan). So, I decided that if I am going to pray again someday, God would not want it to be in such a monstrous place that almost scared me into praying again because then it would not come from the heart.

These extravagant churches and cathedrals are testimony to the absurdity that has become religion, or at least, Catholicism. Jesus was against wealth and those who were wealthy. I can’t then, for all my life, understand Catholicism and how it has oppressed the poor and so many others for centuries. For example, in Paris and I know this happened in England as well, a Protestant wasn’t allowed to be treated by a doctor until they abolished their faith and converted to Catholicism. One of the museums had a list of people who refused and died from sickness because of these religious laws.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your having fun! Enjoy your trip! How long are you gone for?

    ReplyDelete

Hits